Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fits me like a glove! A snug glove!

Well, I finally have the Strada totally fitted to me.  It had been quite a challenge finding the sweet spot in the seat so that my shoulders do not rub the underside of the cockpit.  It is not easy readjusting the rear of the seat lower so that it is seated properly on the rear support, but front of the seat up enough to cradle my butt!  In addition, I did not want the bottom of the seat to bottom out on the floor.  This whole process involves taking the seat out and adusting the various fittings up and down many times.

I also changed my pedals, from the supplied Shimano M324 SPD pedals, to the Shimano A520 pedals.  The latter are only one sided but they hang facing toward you when you clip in.  No need to spin them as is the case with the M324.   I have used the A520 pedals for a number of years and have just become really comfortable with them.  They look great too but that really is not a factor in a velomobile. 


I am really starting to enjoy the ride and my speed is improving daily.  My average speed is up over 5 kms an hour over my average in my Catrike Expedition.  The one thing that I am impressed with is my hill climbing ability.  I had thought that that would have been reduced, but in many ways the Strada climbs better than I had ever expected.

I did a night ride the other evening and the headlight is really good.  The Strada does need some side reflectors. The one thing I did discover is how nice it is inside.  My body was toasty warm while my head was fairly cold by the time I arrived back home.

I am hoping to find the time this week to do a longer trip along some smoother pavement than I have been on lately.  The suspension on the Strada is nice but I find the ride no better than my Catrike Expedition. 



2 comments:

  1. Altough Jenease is my 2nd Mango, I also spend quite some time fine tuning everything.

    You could go for a set of wider tyres to get a smoother ride. The wheel arches of a Strada are designed to fit around 47mm Perfect Moirees. But I have no idea if those are easy to get in Canada. Perhaps someone on Brol could shine a light on that.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter;

    I have been looking to find the sweet spot in the seat adjustment and I think I have finally found it. I was primarily trying to get my shoulders under the lip of the cockpit. I also removed the side bumpers and that gave me a bit more shoulder room.

    I rather like the Kojaks on the front. I have them on my Catrike Expedition. I was really glad I changed them from the Schwalbe Marathon Racers, that came with the Expedition. It seems a lot more nimble with the Kojaks on it. I had thought about changing the rear tire on the Strada from a Marathon Supreme to a 26" Kojak or a Durano. You are right we do not see Vredestein tires a lot here, but they are stocked in the States. I will look up these tires that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete