Friday, August 20, 2010

Strada Ready to be Shipped!

Well the wait is almost over! Just got word that my Strada will be shipped from Bluevelo in Toronto on Monday, August 23rd.

The Strada looks great in all of its blueness with its optional Sturmey-Archer 90mm brakes. It comes complete with brake light and on top of that has the following options on it: Turn signals, Electric Horn, Second Mirror, Flevobike top and, yes, I sprung for the Radical Design Interior Storage Bag. I have not had the second mirror installed and will determine if I need one after I get it on the road. Right now it is rather a large plain blue canvas but hope to start making it totally mine in the next few weeks.



While I generally do not name inanimate objects, I have been thinking that I should name this Velo. The idea really came from a Dutchman, Pjotr320 who has named all of his beautiful Velomobiles. Another one of my Bent Rider-on-Line buddies, Duncan Watson named his orange Mango, the carrot!

Rob Mackenzie of the Recumbent Blog gave me the idea that I could name it Stradavarious! Other things that have crossed my mind are, of course the Bluecoyote and the Strada Warrior (after the Road Warrior movie of 1981). The translation of Strada in Italian is Road.

Italian is such a great cycling and Velomobile language! "Questa strada finisce nella piazza del paese." English translation: This road leads to the town square. Maybe "Il mio bambino blu" - My blue baby! The Italian references makes me think about the 197( film, Breaking Away, where the main character is obsessed with all things Italian and the Italian Cycling Team.

Will have to think about a name for it!

4 comments:

  1. Cornell
    it looks so cooool!
    I bet its going to get real hard trying to sleep while you wait.
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello

    De paarse velomobiel is een Strada. Ik heb hem speciaal laten spuiten. Ik ben er erg blij mee.
    Daarvoor had ik een Queat maar omdat ik stabiliteit belangrijker vind dan snelheid heb ik voor de Strada gekozen. De wegligging is een stuk verbeterd, Hoe bevalt de Strada?
    Ik gebruik hem voor woon-werk en voor fietstochten met andere ligfietsers.
    Je zult wwel veel bekijks hebben in Canada

    Groet, Katinka

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katinka, your purple Strada is just beautiful. Such an incredible paint job! Yes, I am sure that I will get a lot of attention around my area since there is very very few Velos in southern Alberta. Looking forward to getting mine on the road as soon as it arrives, later this week. All the best!

    ReplyDelete